Waveney River Centre is located within the Norfolk Broads, one of Europe's finest and most important wetlands, with a status equivalent to that of a National Park. The Park adjoins the main river and is surrounded by marshes, nature reserves and abundant wildlife.
Protecting the Environment
Waveney River Centre is situated directly opposite, and has superb views across, Carlton Marshes - a Suffolk Wildlife Trust nature reserve. Our location means that on-site activities are likely to have a direct impact on the river and surrounding countryside and we make every effort to minimise harmful effects where possible. We hope that by encouraging our staff and customers to understand the sensitivity of the area, they will help us to minimise the impact of our business on the Environment.
Reducing car use
Our rural isolation means that the Park is only accessible by boat or car. Nevertheless we encourage our customers to limit their car use during their holiday, by continually improving the facilities and activities available on the Park. These include:
- Additions to the children’s play area and a wildife activity area
- Canoe, row boat & cycle hire
- A pedestrian ferry service linking the Park with the Carlton Marshes Nature Reserve, the Angles Way long distance footpath and Oulton Broad.
- Fully stocked shop selling fresh & frozen goods, confectionery, newspapers, tobacco, alcohol, clothing, fishing gear, camping equipment and gifts. Prices are competitive, there should be no need for car-journeys to a supermarket.
- Environmental Awareness & Education
We are a forward-looking business which has made substantial investment in new technology in order to minimise paperwork. Our preferred form of communication is e-mail which not only provides near instant communication with our customers and suppliers but requires no paper, ink or physical transport. This extends to every aspect of our business including quotations, sales & purchase invoices, booking confirmations, payment receipts and statutory forms.
For those customers & suppliers who require more traditional forms of communication, our brochure and stationery are printed on recycled, 100% UK recovered paper from well-managed sources, helping to reduce landfill and contributing to reduced energy consumption.
Customer information sheets are designed to be re-used and we encourage our customers to return them to Reception at the end of their stay.